Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Quick & The Release (Part 2)

Canon TA-100 Review



Chapter 1

In short: The Canon TA-100 adds the capability to attach to a VCT-14 plate to Canon's professional video cameras & a good option for DIY rigs.

With the introduction of the Canon XL2 in 2005, Canon brought along the TA-100 & has continued support with every professional video camera since (even the growing EOS C#00 line).

  XL2 
  XL H1 / H1a / H1s
  XH A1 / A1s / G1 / G1s
  XF100 / 105
  XF300 / 305
  EOS C100 
  EOS C300 / PL
  EOS C500 / PL

The Canon TA-100 is made up of two main components: wedge & quick release plate.

The wedge is similar to the wedge found on the bottom of a shoulder mounted camera, except for the two pegs sticking up that line up on the bottom of supported Canon cameras (and cover the standard 1/4" tripod mount) with four small screws.

The quick release plate is similar to a VCT-14, except it is only 2/3 the length & doesn't have the rear guide pin.  While the rear pin is necessary for shoulder mounted cameras, I have found smaller cameras stay locked & steady without it.  On the bottom side it has four VHS pin holes, four 1/4" 20 & three 3/8" 16 threaded holes.

At a street price of $150, the TA-100 is half the price of a VCT-14 which doesn't include a wedge.

Right now I want to take a moment to show some appreciation to Canon for the creation & continued support of the TA-100.

[appropriate length pause]

Next, let us take a moment & say a little prayer that: Sony, Panasonic & JVC recognize the awesomeness of the TA-100,  & that they add similar capabilities to all of their future handheld cameras.


Chapter 2

Now I have never owned, nor shot with, any of these fine Canon / TA-100 cameras, yet I own multiple TA-100s.  Why?  Because I was left to create a DIY solution to the VCT problem for my Sony Z7U.

I first discovered the TA-100 in 2008 out of an empty wasteland of VCT / handheld solutions (a wasteland that thankfully no longer exists today). I was very excited by the price, compact sized & mostly the fact it included a wedge too.

I paired the TA-100 with a cheap wireless mount I got off eBay for $30.  Took some measurements, double checked the measurements, drilled a few holes, took out my tap & die set, & then made my very own custom VCT / wireless mic mount for my Sony Z7U.

I absolutely loved the ability to attach my handheld Z7U to a tripod in the same manner that I attached a shoulder mounted camera, as well as having the combined capability of attaching a Lectrosonics UCR-201 wireless mic receiver.  This combo enhanced the usability of my Z7U & it became a great compact run-n-gun ENG camera.

If you're looking to buy one, I've seen a few used ones pass across ebay or video classified forums, or you can find one at your favorite camera retailer, mine being B&H Photo.

Full disclosure: I do not work for Canon or any of their associates.  I was not asked, nor compensated to write this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment